Friday, September 14, 2012

YOU GUYS. MUTEMATH.

I saw Mutemath for the first time at the Alive Music Festival in Ohio back in - oh... I think 2004? You know, back when all I wore was T-shirts and all I was all angsty and stuff. I had no idea who they were and they didn't even have a full album out yet. They were performing on a side stage at like, noon, and maybe 4 people were watching if I may be generous. I remember hearing them play "Control" and saying - oh my. Yes. Yes to this. When they were finished their set, we all kind of looked at each other wide-eyed and wordless. Like, um, did you see that? Did anyone else see that?

I've seen them another few times since then and then I saw them last night again in Tempe - headlining their own tour and performing for a giant crowd. Kind of cool to see that evolution.

My point is that last night's show was possibly one of the best shows I've been to in my life. By the end my feet were killing me and I was sweating my butt off (like any good concert-dancer-with-beer-in-hand should) but I was BEGGING for it to not be over. They have a crazy electricity. They have absolutely MASTERED what they do. The music, the writing, the performing. They have no room to improve. That makes me feel inspired and alive and all that stuff, and I mean it. People still master things. Isn't that great?









Also, the opening band was called Civil Twilight and may be (are clearly attempting to be) this generation's Radiohead? Too soon?
Anyway the guy played his guitar for a while with a bow, and that was ok with me.




I mean, seriously. When was the last time music made you feel this way?

1 comment:

  1. While I do agree that Mutemath is, essentially, the shiz (Aaron will appreciate that usage), I have to say I take issue as a musician with your opinion that they have no room for improvement. I'm sure if you asked any of them, they'd be able to point out things from that show that they would change/improve.

    Also, mastery does not imply perfection. Michael Jordan was a master, but always improving his game. Derek Jeter is a master, but he continues to practice and get better.

    Anyway, all that to say, YES, THEY ARE FREAKING AMAZING MUSICIANS! ;)

    ReplyDelete